PP&C - Project Planning and Control Services
Although EWEN is originally an energy efficiency company, taking advantage of accumulated experience in this area that we have on-board, we decided to setup a business unit, offering services in project planning and control for large and complex projects.
What are EWEN’s PP&C Services?
PP&C is essentially the activity of planning and monitoring / controlling a project’s progress.
A small project, such as the construction of a building, requires quite a simple programme. However, a large and complex project (for example, a Metro System, a refinery, a port or a hospital) demand a programme and project control system of an entirely different calibre. This is where EWEN can be a useful and independent partner, for a Joint Venture, responsible for the execution of a large project.
EWEN’s PP&C services consist of:
- Development of the detailed project schedule, usually on a platform such as Oracle Primavera, but we can use other SW platforms);
- Definition of all procedures and control mechanisms related to project control and reporting systems related to schedule control (may also include cost control, if necessary);
- Definition of project progress reports;
- Integration of data from scheduling and costs, which may also include actual costs, allowing for cost control reports;
- Development of quantitative tracking mechanisms;
- Implementation of EVM (Earned Value Management) including DEVA (Dynamic Earned Value Analysis, a methodology totally developed by EWEN);
- Development and implementation of a web based dashboards, allowing for the generation of highly-interactive, analytic and informative reports;
- TSD (Time-Space Diagrams) which are also web-accessible and interactive;
- Schedule Risk Analysis;
- Implementation of PMBOK methodology.
How do we provide the PP&C Services?
The most cost-efficient Modus Operandi that EWEN has found by experience, consists of providing these services in two phases:
Phase 1 - Set-up Phase (usually 2 to 6 months):
The first phase of a project is always extremely demanding for planning. In this initial phase, EWEN mobilizes to the site, to coordinate, lead or simple provide the entire project schedule and all associated systems, databases, procedures and control mechanisms (Schedule and if desired cost) and structures the project reporting system (for both internal and external purposes).
This would be a typical list of deliverables of the Set-Up phase:
- Project Codification System;
- Project detailed schedule;
- Project Controls procedure;
- EV Model, and if requested Cost Control Models;
- Reporting Mechanisms;
- Quantitative tracking web-based and highly interactive dashboards;
- Templates and databases associated with project controls.
Phase 2 - Cruising or Monitoring Phase:
After the initial phase, EWEN’s presence on site can be reduced to the minimum needed. Whether EWEN’s presence in this phase is permanent or not, will depend on the strategy of our client. We can retain a small presence permanently on site, or be present only periodically, for example 1 or 2 weeks in each month. This will always be adjusted to the project’s needs, as the local skills develop, and the project goes into cruising speed.
What are our references
Our solid experience and reference list speaks for itself: EWEN (or EWEN’s present team members) implemented complete schedule / project control systems for the following projects:
|1985||Sheraton Hotel Porto||Portugal||Sonae|
|1989 - 1990||Styrene Plant, Terneuzen||Holland||Dow Chemical|
|1999 - 2006||Metro do Porto||2.5B€||Portugal||Joint Venture Normetro (Soares da Costa, Bombardier, Semaly, Transdev, Balfour Beatty, Salini Impregilo)|
|1999 – 2006||Metro Tenerife (1 e 2 fase)||0.8M€||Canárias, Spain||Metropolitano de Tenerife|
|2010 - 2011||Rede Alta Velocidade Poceirão-Caia||3.5B€||Portugal||Joint Venture LGV (Soares da Costa, Lena, Odebrecht, Edifer, Zagope, Dragados e Bento Pedroso Construções)|
|2013 - 2015||Metro Doha (principaís estações)||1.4B€||Qatar||Joint Venture SOQ (OHL, Samsung, BQC)|
|2015 - 2016||Metro KSA Linha 1 e 2||11B$||Saudi Arabia||Joint Venture BACS (Bechtel, CCC, Almabani)|
|2016-2017||National Psychaitric Hospital ||130M€||Dublin, Irland||Joint Venture NFMHS (OHL, Rhattigan)|
|2017||Old War Office (Hotel)||400M€||Londres, United Kingdom||OHL|
Some examples of tools:
a) Earned Value Model (EVM)
Dashboard calculates complete EV variables (past and future) based on P6 schedule.
Interactivity allows user to view these for the entire project or for any part of the project.
b) Time-Space Diagrams from P6 Schedule:
Time-space diagrams (TSD) are often the best way to validate schedules for “linear” projects such as tunnels, roads and rail projects. The generation of these are often take many man-hours, and then become static versions, not accompanying the changes in the P6 schedule.
This tool generates TSD’s, directly from the P6 database.
Sample shown was developed for the High-Speed Rail Link in Portugal (160km).
c) Interactive Project Controls Dashboards
Discipline related schedule dashboards, with quantitative progress reporting (baseline, actual and forecast, linked to Primavera P6.
Dashboards has interactivity allowing period filtering.
d) 3D Excavation Visualization of P6 Schedule:
Dashboard presents the excavation status (3D) at any date past or future, linked to P6 database in real-time.
Impact of changes in P6 schedule, can be seen immediately in 3D in this Dashboard, linked to the same P6 database.
Sample shown was developed for Msheireb Station (Doha Metro).
Go To Top